After a 25-year-long career as a writer, Tracey Porpora has rejoined the reporting team at the Staten Island Advance.
She is the business/real estate writer & columnist for the Staten Island Advance, specializing in business news and real estate issues affecting Staten Island. She writes a new business column entitled "New Businesses in Focus."
Tracey launched her journalism career in 1992 at the Advance, where she worked for more than six years as a news reporter, weekly columnist, and later as the head of the newspaper’s former South Shore Bureau.
In 1999 she left the Advance and led a 13-year long successful freelance writing career, which included writing regularly for The Star Ledger. She was also a contributing editor for Complete Woman, Bridal Guide, T.H.I.C. The Hair Industry Connection and local editor of Industry Magazine. In addition, Tracey was a regular guest author for the working mother site of About.com.
Other publications for which Tracey has written articles include: Ladies’ Home Journal Online, All Woman, Time Out NY Kids, The Christian Science Monitor, Grit, Savvy Miss, Yoga For Everybody, Big Apple Parent, Queens Parent, MetroKids, Chiropractor Monthly, Long Island Woman, MAMM, Mainline, Urban Metro, NurseTV.com, Mature Living, Options, Club Fitness, Lifestyles, Empire New York Business, Family Tree, POZ, The Italian-Tribune, VARBusiness, New Jersey TechNews, Airbrush Action, Trump Style, Elan, Black Diaspora, Moxie, The Wall Street Journal's Managing Your Career, Media Week and The New York Resident newspaper.
• Awarded "Journalist of the Year" in 2013 by The Newswomen's Club of NY for coverage of Hurricane Sandy.
• Led a 12-year long successful freelance career writing and editing human interest, real estate, business, and “how to” stories for national consumer parenting and women’s magazines, business trade magazines and major metropolitan newspapers.
• Authored The Complete Guide to Baby Sign Language: 101 Tips and Tricks Every Parent Needs to Know (Atlantic Publishing, Dec. 2010)
• Earned title of Public Relations Director & Senior Copywriter for a top New York City advertising agency.
• Ran a busy newspaper bureau, and created a weekly column for a major New York City daily newspaper.
• Served as an Assistant Professor of Journalism at St. John’s University helping dozens of students obtain internships and full-time positions at high profile media companies.
Specialties: Business, Women's Issues, Real Estate, Parenting, Health, Human Interest